Sunday 1 March 2015

Village at the End of the World (2012)

March Around The World 2015 Challenge - Greenland

The slow death of a village in Greenland due to the closure of the fish factory, subsidy cuts, the emigration of the young and the dilution of tradition.

The sequence of the tourists visiting this "quaint" village towards the end of the film made me feel incredibly angry and, at the same time, so sad because I know that I am one of them. I am looking at these people through the rose-tinted specs of a man sat on his fat arse on a comfortable sofa. I am a tourist, I don't want them to change and I know that this attitude is so wrong. This is not a theme park and these people are not attractions.

From summer when the colours are vibrant and almost Mediterranean, to the endless night of winter when the sea, the sky and the people are grey, this is a beautifully shot film and its short 78 minute length is perfect.

Life goes on. The shit still needs emptying.

Hey Terése, there's sled dogs!

Original letterboxd review

No comments:

Post a Comment